Lantern introduces and demonstrates a minimal computing approach to producing textbooks using free and open source software. Lantern provides an Pandoc template for building multiple formats of book-length educational works.
Free: Lantern uses open source software and free-of-charge web services for processing, building, deploying, and hosting open textbooks.
Portable: Lantern emphasizes the use of plain text file formats that can run on any machine or web host. No databases or servers are required.
Multi-format: Lantern teaches semantic markup technologies for producing Markdown, HTML, PDF, DOCX, and LaTeX editions of open textbooks.
Sustainable: Lantern minimizes the infrastructure, configuration, hosting, and maintenance costs related to traditional digital publishing systems and platforms.
Discoverable: Lantern produces harvestable metadata in OAI-PMH, JSON-LD and Google Scholar tags.
- Academic Libraries, Technology
- 2021 © Chris Diaz & Lauren McKeen McDonald
- Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
- Northwestern University Libraries
- Maria Palacio, Angelina Jaglinski, Sherry Wang
- Preferred Attribution
- Chris Diaz, Lauren McKeen McDonald, Lantern : a template and workflow toolkit for open textbooks. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Libraries, 2021.